Saturday, September 15, 2012

How are YOU, as a person?

Sounds like a simple question... "How are you, as a person?"

But, I think we often times forget that we are real people. We aren't little robots, going about the same business every day.

Think about it. Your job is not who you are but what you do. You are the person that smiles and laughs at a stupid joke. You are the person that gets enjoyment from the brisk breeze in the morning as you walk to your car. You are a realperson. Who wudda thunk it.

One of my goals since the beginning of Teach For America has been to not lose myself. For some reason I always envisioned those whom join TFA as real people turned soulless teachers that don't feel enjoyment anymore.

Now, that might be a little extreme dramatization of what is true, but that's what I thought... just being honest.

What I have come to realize is that teaching for the first time does turn recent college graduates or worldy and wise elders into emotionless or overly emotional beings. They lose part of themselves.

A month and a half in to my teaching, I don't feel like I've lost myself. Thank God. I can't say that for anyone but myself though -- and that bothers me.

What I want to see are the first years going to school, working their butts off. But once they leave that school they are no longer, Mr/Mrs. Whomever -- instead, they are themselves... a real person.

I may seem like I'm rambling, but if you thought about it, you'd understand what I mean. Leaving your working self at work, at the doors, and turning into who you want to be beyond the workplace.

It's not easy, but you have to try and tell yourself you're two different people.

Ultimately though, it has been a huge piece of sanity in an insane classroom.

I just want more people to ask themselves... "How am I doing as a person?"

I asked that of a fellow corps member today who responded, "I don't know. And... I think that's because I don't feel like myself." She then thanked me for asking because she realized she needs to pay attention to that aspect of her life... the reality of it all.

Take care of yourself and make sure you stay sane beyond the insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment